Monday, June 21, 2010

time to empty the backpacks


Today was the last day of school. I don't know who was more excited about it, me or the kids. They came running off the bus, hollering their joy and I hollered right along with them. After listening to their bubbling about parties and goodbyes, they ran off to start their summer. I turned, saw their bags lying on the bench, and realized the time had come for me to excavate into the depths of the backpacks.

Now, I pride myself on being on of those parents who go through their children's backpacks every single school day. My kids are trained to put their bags down on the bench in the playroom so I can take out their folders and agenda books and separate out homework and papers that should go in the trash and those that need to be signed and those that I want to save. I remember when I was teaching kindergarten, some of my students carted backpacks full of stuff to school and home again all year long. I was determined never to let that happen.

So, I'm always shocked at the end of the year when I clean out their backpacks. There is always all this stuff nestled in the nooks and crannies of the bag. And these new fangled bags have a plethora of nooks and crannies. This afternoon I sat down and went through both bags and piled it all up on the bench. Let me catalogue the detritus.

Sam's bag contained...
  • a big stuffed S
  • a small stuffed snoopy
  • a t-shirt
  • his report card
  • various awards and school notices
  • a book
  • loose Pokemon cards (about a dozen)
  • an album of Pokemon cards
  • agenda book
  • folder
  • one winter glove
  • a disassembled pen
  • three book sox
  • a memory book
  • a water bottle
Teresa's bag contained...
  • a tupperware container
  • a cookbook
  • two books
  • a folder
  • a calculator
  • a baggie with a used up glue stick and four crayons
  • two pencils
  • one piece of leprechaun money
  • a baggie filled with cut up bits of paper
  • a manila envelope with two inhalers and a spacer
  • her report card
  • a folder of her writing from the last two weeks
  • a small photo album of her class trip to the beach
  • an autograph book
  • thermos of water
  • a scarf

It could be worse. I could be in charge of cleaning out their desks at school. Now THAT is scary!

No comments: