Friday, September 4, 2009

in her words




Teresa has the soul of a poet. She has long carried on a love affair with words. She soaks up new words and uses them as soon as she can; even if they don't quite fit. She especially relishes what she calls "amazing" words. Why use a worn out word when you can use one that is polysyllabic and unique? She often surprises me with some of the things she says. When she was a toddler she would often tell me "you make my heart happy." She still says this today and it never fails to cause me to melt into an ooey gooey pile of mush. The other day while we were cooking together and chatting about nothing in particular, she wrapped her dimpled arms around my waist, snuggled her face into my belly and said "Mumma, you fill my joy with delight." On the surface this doesn't really even make sense, but to my ears, it says everything.