Wednesday, February 13, 2008

what's the word, hummingbird?

Teresa likes to make up words or replace words with sound alikes. She has done this since she was a tiny little monkey. Let me give you some examples. One of the first and one which she still uses often is "pink-il-ly" And it's not complete without wiggling your fingers as you say it. It means beyond pretty and very girly. A "complimation" is another of her words. She uses it to mean organized according to a pattern. One of her words evolved after Katie was born. Teresa began carting a baby of her own around and she loved dressing it in a little "rompus" which is actually a onesie to you and me. She comes up with some interesting variations on kitchen tools too. When helping out in the kitchen or playing in her kitchen, her favorite kitchen tool is the "tarantula". I prefer to use my spatula. Sit ups are a part of my daily battle against the bulge. Teresa likes to lay down next to me to do "hips ups " of her own. She has always called earlobes.."earrubs". And in our house we don't eat drumsticks they're called "handle chicken" Just today she was going through the house with a magnet testing it on various appliances and pieces of furniture and when it stuck to something she said it had "animation." Oh, and the other day the seeds we planted were "experiment" seeds, even though the package was clearly marked spearmint. She likes to sound grown up and thinks using big words will do the trick. She may not sound especially adult like but it always gives me the giggles to hear her. You know what else, even though her words may not be the correct ones, or even a word at all, she says everything with such confidence and verve she'll have you believing it is.

1 comment:

Debra said...

That is so cute, Marie. Kids are funny. I'm sure if I thought about it hard enough my kids do the same thing but not as unique as T.