Thursday, January 22, 2009

my scrapbooking sidekick

Teresa was not quite two when she started scrapping with Mumma. She used to call it "crapping." It never failed to send me into a fit of the giggles when she would ask "Can I crap with you Mumma?" I wondered if she actually enjoyed the scrapbooking or if she really just loved the one on one time with me. I wondered if she would continue to want to both scrap and spend time with me as she grew older. I hoped she would...on both counts.
I wonder no longer.

Teresa started coming to crops with me and scrapping a few months ago and has really enjoyed it. The monthly crops I go to were MY time and I wasn't so keen on bringing her. I was afraid she would pester me or get bored or need so much help I'd get nothing done. But that hasn't been the case at all. She sits at her own table and works away on her scrapbook chatting with her beloved Karen or her little friend Hannah. Up to now, Teresa has always used my supplies when scrapbooking, but when I realized this was a past time with some sticking power I decided she needed her own supplies. Now, every scrapbooker worth her salt has numerous bags to tote all her scrapping stuff , so for Christmas Teresa got her very own hot pink scrapbooking bag stocked with all the essentials; paper, stickers, tape runner, scissors and pens. She couldn't wait to get started. In fact, the first time she pulled out her own scrapping stuff I had to MAKE her stop at 10 pm and first thing next morning she plunked her bag on the table and continued where she left off. I don't know if I can adequately express how much I enjoy sharing this with her. There are so many ways I'm connected with her. But this connection feels different. Something that connects us not necessarily as mother/daughter but as two people who share similar interests...as friends.

6 comments:

Midwest Miscellany said...

That's so sweet Marie! I'd love to see some of the things you and she both scrapped!

Dori said...

I thought that was Katie in the top two photos, LOL. I think it's wonderful that you've introduced Teresa to scrapping and she's taken such an interest in it. You've inspired me to get my kids involved in scrapping too.

Marie said...

Thanks Wilma! If I can figure out a good way to take a picture of our layouts I'll post some.

Marie said...

Dori, I am seeing more of Teresa in Katie now myself. Never have until this past year. I bet your kids would love it. Sam's saying he wants to scrap too...I may be in deep doo doo if they all decide to do it. We'll have to build an addition just to hold all our scrapping stuff...hmmm...that's not a bad idea! :)

jen aka mommay said...

what a great idea! (and where did you get the bag?)

Marie said...

Jen, I got the bag at Walmart. :)