Tuesday, September 2, 2008

that whole spoonful of sugar thing

All moms have cute little catch phrases we use when talking with our kids. Because we all know if we say something in a cutesy way, it will take the sting out of what's really being said. Let me translate for you; "sit like a pretzel" should actually be read as "SIT DOWN!" or "you get what you get and you don't get upset" is actually "too freaking bad, baby!" and "quick like a bunny" means "HURRY, the EFF UP!" I have used the quick like a bunny phrase since way back when I taught preschool. I use it now with all three of my kids. What's funny is none of my preschoolers ever interpreted it the way each of my kids have when they were each about three. I was hurrying Kate to the bathroom tonight saying, "quick, quick like a bunny!" and just like Sam and Teresa before her, she stopped running along and began hopping across the kitchen.

2 comments:

Jessica Ryan said...

at least you don't say criss cross applesauce... who the heck sits like applesauce?

Marie said...

um yeah, that would be a bit messy.